The guys at Inside Hook know what’s up when it comes to wearing a suit. Here is a (slightly edited) rundown of their tips for a flawless fit.
What the modern man’s suit should look like:
One: no aggressive, Festrunk-esque plaids, you wild and crazy guy.
Two: no NBA draft night suits. It’s gotta fit.
If you’re a larger guy, don’t think you’re hiding anything by draping extra fabric on your body. You are not a cereal box, sir.
A few basic rules:
- The jacket: It should hug your shoulders, but not restrict movement.
- Jacket movement test: Shake hands. Anything come out of place? Buttons OK? Then you’re good.
- Sleeve fit test: Let your arms hang and make a fist. If the cuff hits past your knuckles, that jacket’s too big, fella.
- Sleeve fit tip: It’s okay if the sleeves are short. This is why God invented cufflinks.
- About the pants: You shouldn’t need a belt. You should wear a belt. But you shouldn’t need one.
Why you should get separates
The ability to bring the vest into play is key. Changes the whole getup. And there’s nothing wrong with rocking a jacket over jeans.